Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Thursday, December 10, 2009
Beary Good Time
Celebrating Beckett the Panda
Friday, December 4, 2009
Make a wagon.
December 4,5,6 and 11,12,13
6:30-9 pm nightly
Highland Park Nazarene Church
- Santa's house and reindeer barn
- Santa and Mrs. Claus
- The Grinch
- Walk through Bethlehem
- Snow and puppet show
- Snow globe
- Niagra falls light show
- General store for kids to shop
Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Sunday, November 29, 2009
Saturday, November 28, 2009
- Strolling Carolers will perform every Friday and Saturday through Dec. 19 from 6-9 pm
- Strolling Scrooge will visit every Saturday and Sunday Nov. 28-Dec. 20 from 1-4 pm
- Paint an Ornament, Tuesday, December 1st from 10 am-9 pm at PicassoZ Art Cafe-$8 Donations to benefit Florida Baptist Children's Home
- Live Music, Thursdays from 6-9 pm at the Main Fountain Area
- Storytelling with Mrs. Claus @ Books-A-Million; December 5,12, & 19 at 2 pm
- Come See Santa! Visit his workshop next to Fish City Grill.
Spark your children's creativity and imagination this holiday season with a free e-book from Unity. Christmas Is Coming! 2009, features
- Fun holiday games and projects.
- Easy-to-remember affirmations.
- Daily reminders to your child that he or she is God's amazing creation.
Print as many copies as you'd like and share with your family and friends. Get ready to have fun, because Christmas Is Coming!
Note: This booklet is only available as an e-book. Print copies are not available.
Last year, my family and I read each day's entry in this book and did some of the activities. Each day has wonderful topics to get your family talking about the true meaning of Christmas. We read ours each evening at the dinner table.
Friday, November 27, 2009
Daily Activites (FREE)
1021 Lakeland Hills Blvd., Lakeland, FL 33805
863-686-1221 ext. 221
- Monday: My Play and Learn Time, A School Readiness Activity for 3-5 years @ 9:30-11 am
- Tuesday: Tuesday Trunk Tales, A School Readiness Activity for 3-5 years @ 9:30-11 am
- Wednesday: Mommy and Me Two, Heartland for Children for 1-2 years @ 10-11:30 am
- Thursday: Growing Beyond Books, A School Readiness Activity for 3-5 years @ 9:30-11 am
- Thursday: Mommy and Me for Birth-1 year @ 10-11:30 am
- Friday: Creative Movement; Florida Dance Theatre, A School Readiness Activity for 3-5 years @ 9:30-11 am
- Friday: Creative Movement for 2 years old @ 11:15 am until noon
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Ticket Opportunity –
Donate Food for the Elderly and Get Free Tickets!
Ringling Bros. and
Barnum & Bailey Circus
Friday, January 15th, 7pm
Saturday, January 16th, 2pm & 6pm
Sunday, January 17th, 1pm
$13, $16, $19, $30 (VIP), $40 Front Row
Tickets On Sale Friday, November 20th, 10am
ILLUSCINATION SM is a fantasy-filled world where thrills, wonderment and magic intersect with unparalleled powers of imagination. Young thrillusionist, David DaVinci invites audiences to join him in this awe-mazing, mystifying adventure as he bridges the believable world in which we all live and the seemingly impossible one of the circus.
Help VISTE make Thanksgiving Brighter for Polk's Elderly and Get FREE Ringling Bros. and Barum & Bailey Circus Opening Night Tickets!
Friday, November 20th, Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey® will be giving away tickets to see The Greatest Show On Earth®, ILLUSCINATION SM, when it comes to The Lakeland Center January 15th-17th, 2010. In exchange, they're asking folks to donate food to Volunteers in Service to the Elderly (VISTE), to help feed seniors in the Lakeland area.
Friday, November 20th from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., representatives from Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey will be collecting nonperishable food items in exchange for tickets to Opening Night of the circus. A donation of 10 items entitles each consumer to one show ticket, with a limit of four tickets per family, while supplies last. Tickets will be for the Friday night, Jan. 15th, 7:00 p.m. performance only, at The Lakeland Center. Donations will be collected in front of the Box Office at The Lakeland Center.
VISTE is an organization that enables the frail elderly in Polk County to continue living independently in their own homes, safely, comfortably, and in better health.
The City of Lakeland Parks & Recreation Department is proud to host the 29th Annual Snowfest at Lake Mirror on Saturday December 5, 2009 from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
This year’s event will feature the traditional Snow Mountain and also a Snow Slide! A visit from Santa Claus, children’s entertainment, inflatables and food vendors will complete the day.
Price for admission to the Snow Mountain and Snow Slide will be a donated canned food item or a $1.00 donation. All canned food items will be donated to Polk County Senior Orphans charity. Admission to the inflatables will be $1.00.
Monday, November 16, 2009
Here is the ABC Family Countdown to Christmas schedule.
Here are a few local Holiday activities to look forward to in December:
- December 3, 7 pm; Lakeland Christmas Parade through downtown Lakeland
- November 20-December 24th; Santa Claus is coming to town! Come take advantage of this perfect photo opportunity for your family and friends while letting the kids whisper their gift ideas to Santa!
Children visiting Santa will receive a free coloring and autograph book, The Very Best Gift in the World is You, while supplies last.
CLICK HERE FOR SANTA PHOTO COUPON AND HOLIDAY DRAWING FOR YOUR CHILD TO COLOR!
LOCATION: Santa Set
Here is the link, to "click here" for the coupon.
square.com/ Events/Photos- with-Santa
- December 5, 2009 @ 9:30 am; Santa's Workshop Location: Family Fundamentals Santa Claus is coming to town and he's making his first stop at Family Fundamentals on Saturday, December 5th from 9:30 AM - 2:00 PM, for the annual Family Fundamentals Santa's Workshop. Come enjoy a traditional Christmas experience with Santa & Mrs. Claus, along with the elves of Family Fundamentals!
*Pictures with Santa & Mrs. Claus
*Create your own Holiday Snack
*Hands-on Christmas Activities
*Holiday Story time
Santa will be handing out children's books to all good boys & girls!
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OR PRINT THE FLYER
highlight and copy and paste this into your browser and scroll down to get to the flyer to view or print.
- Friday, December 4 - First Friday Holiday Happenings Downtown Lakeland; Holiday Music and activities. Shops and restaurants will stay open till 9:00pm for your holiday shopping convenience.
Activities for kids:
Photos with Santa
Kiddie Train Ride
Performances from local schools and churches in Munn Park
- Tuesday, December 1, 2009 - 21st Annual Holiday Walkabout 6-9pm; 21st Annual Holiday Walkabout December 1st from 6-9pm Downtown Lakeland
Celebrate the season with
Photos with Santa and Mrs. Claus
Local Schools Performing Holiday Music
Carriage Ridges, Pony Rides
Munn Park holiday lights
for more info:
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
In the evening we have been riding bikes, throwing footballs and having races up and down the driveway. Get outside and play. It is great excercise, good quality time with your kids and it is FREE!!
Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Today we went to storytime at the library and then checked out books and brought home several books about Thanksgiving that we are looking forward to reading together.
Monday, November 2, 2009
Of course, we went to a Pumpkin patch and got our pumpkin for Halloween so that puts me in the mood for our annual visit to a Farm and a hayride. I have been looking for a Corn maze close by to take my boys to, but haven't found one yet (sounds like so much fun.) Also, the pumpkin patch puts me in the mood for pumpkin pie and other treats; I might try pumpkin bread this year.
Luke really wants to make gingerbread men so I thought we could do that soon; rolling the dough out, cutting the shapes and decorating the cookies is always fun.
Another cooking "craft" I want to do this year is build a gingerbread house with the boys.
I will post pics as we do our Fall crafts and make our fall treats.
Monday, October 26, 2009
Sunday, October 25, 2009
They're offering a $15.99 refund no matter the original purchase price on any Baby Einstein DVD purchased between 2004 and Sept 2009.
You just fill out the form on that page and tell them the date that you purchased it, and send in the DVD... up to 4 per household.
But this is only for people who already purchased these DVDs in the past. If you were to buy it today, it wouldn't be honest to list an earlier date on that form. I guess you may have to use your best estimate, if you can't recall exactly.
Offer is valid until March 2010."
The Baby Einstein™ DVD Guarantee - USA
To participate, you must have purchased a Baby Einstein DVD between June 5, 2004 and September 4, 2009.
If you are not satisfied with the Baby Einstein DVD you purchased during the period mentioned above, for a limited time beginning on September 4, 2009 and ending on March 4, 2010, you may exchange it for one of the following:
- One (1) Baby Einstein Book of your choice
- One (1) Baby Einstein music CD of your choice
- One (1) coupon for 25% off the purchase of one Little Einsteins™ product. Redeemable with promotion code only at DisneyStore.com.
1. Package the DVD, in its original DVD case (if available), into a suitable mailing envelope or package.
2. Include the completed (hand-printed) request form below or an 8½x11 sheet of paper with your signature, name, address, telephone number and email address.
3. Indicate the DVD title you are returning and date of purchase.
4. Check the appropriate box on the exchange/refund request form found below or write in on your sheet of paper your choice of :
(a) An exchange for one (1) Baby Einstein Book OR one (1) Baby Einstein music CD. Please write in the product name or title in the appropriate space found on the refund request form below OR on your sheet of paper;
(b) A coupon for 25% off one (1) Little Einsteins™ product purchased online at DisneyStore.com; or
(c) A refund.
5. Submissions must be postmarked by March 4, 2010.
6. Mail to:
The Baby Einstein DVD Guarantee/Upgrade Offer
P.O. Box 3200
Neenah, WI 54957-3200
Please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery of your exchange or refund check. Returns must be sent in a suitable envelope or package with the necessary postage. Limit four (4) exchanges (including upgrades and discounts) or refunds per household or address during the return period ending March 4, 2010. Group submissions are void. Exchanges and refunds will not be mailed to P.O. Boxes. Check with your local post office for a street address. Exchange or refund rights may not be assigned or transferred. Requests not in compliance with all the terms of this offer will not be acknowledged or returned. All submissions are subject to verification. Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment reserves the right to review questionable submissions. Any requests sent to the above P.O. Box for anything other than a legitimate product exchange or refund will not be acknowledged. Offer good in U.S. only. Void where prohibited, restricted or taxed by law. Inquiries to this offer received later than 30 days after the expiration date of March 4, 2010 will not be acknowledged. Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment assumes no responsibility for lost, late, damaged, misdirected, mutilated, illegible, incomplete or postage-due mail. For inquiries, including if you believe you purchased your Baby Einstein DVD(s) for a different amount, please call our Customer Service Department toll free at 1-800-793-1454 (Prompt #5) or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
- Auburndale library presents Famiy Fun time at 10 am, Saturday, October 24th. Make and take crafts, a moonwalk, inflatable slides, games and more.
- Winter Haven library presents, "Monsters vs Aliens" at 2 pm, October 24th. Refreshments available for a nominal fee.
Stella Reid aka Nanny Stella, from Nanny 911 will be at the
Lakeland Center, November 7, 2009 2-3:30 pm..
Join Nanny Stella as she shares tips for successful parenting and family harmony! Bring your questions as Nanny Stella will be addressing the audience in a question/answer session!
The presentation is free, but you must have a ticket.
Call 863-519- 8900 ext 261 for more information.
Presented by Heartland for Children.
Saturday, October 17, 2009
- Pumpkin Patch at Mulberry United Methodist Church; Mon.-Sat 10 am until 7 pm, Sun. noon until 7 pm. All proceeds benefit local and global missions
- Fall Craft Bazaar; Presbyterian Church in the Highlands, Oct. 24th 9 am until 2 pm; Handmade crafts, bake sale, food concessions and a fun zone for children.
- Trunk or Treat, Shepherd's Community United Methodist Church; Oct. 30th from 6-8 pm. Free Food, Bouncy slide, games, pony rides and a visit from Smokey the Bear.
- Trunk or Treat, First Baptist Church in Frostproof presents face painting, food court, inflatables, decorated vehicles for treats; Oct 31, 6-8 pm.
- Trunk or Treat, College Heights United Methodist Church in Lakeland; Oct. 31 6-8 pm, Candy, gifts, bounce houses and hot dogs.
- Family Halloween Party at Polk Museum of Art, Oct. 30, 4-7 pm, Cost is $5 per child, Trick or treat in the galleries, scavenger hunt, Halloween themed games, art projects and more.
Thursday, October 15, 2009
Saturday, Oct 17th @ 9am until 4 pm
Over 160 craft booths, haunted house, Kid Zone with a magician, pumpkin patch and face painting. Musical groups and drama performances.
Also, PSC Emergency Services will host their Team Day with a mock competition.
Food and drink available.
Monday, October 12, 2009
- Denny's Free Kid's meal and dessert with purchase of Adult entree; http://dennyskidsandparents.com/birthdayclub/
- Cold Stone Creamery one free ice cream creation; http://www.coldstonecreamery.com/birthday/birthday_club.aspx
- Moes Southwest Grill complimentary entree and a free kids meal; http://moes.kidsbirthdayclub.com/index.cfm http://moes.fbmta.com/members/UpdateProfile.aspx?Action=Subscribe&InputSource=W
- Rita's Ice buy one item get one free; http://www.ritasice.com/events-and-promotions/birthday-club.aspx
- Dairy Queen Buy one blizzard get one free; http://www.dairyqueen.com/us-en/
- Arby's Free Shake with any roastburger purchase; https://arbysextras.fishbowl.com/forms/arbys/join.asp
- Chilis Free Dessert with purchase of any entree;http://www.fishbowl.com/clt/chlscrp/lp/join/join.asp
- Bds Mongolian Grill; Free Stir Fry Meal; http://www.gomongo.com/experience/joinClubMongo.php
- Grillsmith Free Meal with purchase of another meal;http://grillsmith.fbmta.com/members/UpdateProfile.aspx?Action=Subscribe&NoCache=True
Saturday, October 10, 2009
Friday, October 9, 2009
LAKELAND— On Saturday, October 10, 2009, the Lakeland Fire Department is hosting its 4th Annual Open House at Station 1, located at 701 E. Main Street in downtown Lakeland. The event begins at 10:00 A.M. and runs until 2:00 P.M. The community is invited to this free event. The department will hold live demonstrations to include a vehicle extrication, rappelling, search and rescue using a canine and a simulated medical response. Apparatus and equipment will be on display. Firefighters will provide tours of the station, conduct
The Open House is a wonderful opportunity for the residents of Lakeland, young andold, to interact with the firefighters and to learn about the Lakeland Fire Department and the services it provides to the community.
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Pix and Popcorn features "Monsters vs Aliens"
Saturday, October 10th at 2:30 pm.
Winter Haven Library
Saturday, Oct 10th at 2 pm
Enter the world of Bionicle at the Saturday afternoon movie, "Bionicle: the Legend Reborn"
Refreshments available at a nominal charge.
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
I wanted to share some pictures after my boys and I got through decorating our front door for Halloween. I used crafts that they did at school last year as part of the decorations. They thought it was neat that I had saved their creations and they loved seeing them on our door and windows.
Monday, October 5, 2009
3-5 yr. olds
Wed., Sept. 9th – Oct. 28th
10:00 to 10:45 AM
6-8 yr. olds
Tues., Sept. 8th – Oct. 27th
3:30 to 4:30 PM
birth – 2 yrs. (Book Babies)
Thurs., Sept. 10th – Oct. 29th
10:30 to 11:00 AM
with Miss Connie, Storyteller & Program Director
Preschool Storytime, designed for 4-5 year olds, is an interactive program of stories, songs, finger-plays and more for you and your child to enjoy together!
Tuesdays at 10:00 a.m. In the meeting room of the Main Library
October 20, 27
November 3, 10, 17, 24
December 1, 8
Toddler Time - TWO sessions offered
Designed for toddlers aged 2 & 3. Same program at each session.
Wednesdays at 10:00 a.m. in the meeting room of the Main Library
October 21, 28
November 4, 12, 19, 25
December 2, 9
Thursdays at 10:00 a.m. in the meeting room of the Main Library
October 1, 22, 29
November 5, 19
December 3, 10
Mother Goose Time for Babies with Miss Connie, Storyteller & Program Director
Mother Goose Time, designed for babies, is a lap-sit program that gives you an opportunity to learn rhymes and songs to share with your baby.
Thursdays at 11:00 a.m. in the meeting room of the Main Library
October 1, 22, 29
November 5, 12, 19
December 3, 10
Sunday, October 4, 2009
October24-The Polk County Leisure Services Division will host the 13th Annual Haunted Halloween Hayride and Happenings. This family event will be 5- 10 pm at Carter RD. park. Admission is $5 per person. Children 2yo and younger are free with paid adult.
For more info. call (863) 534-6911
October 29-The Crickette Club Halloween Parade and Carnival in Bartow. Parade begins at 4pm.
October 23-Downtown Bartow Art Stroll from 4-8 pm.
Yesterday we had a very busy day. In the morning we went to Jack's flag football game, by the way, his team is now 0-3 and Jack says they are now like the BUCS. (right now being like the BUCS is not a great thing though) After, the game we came home and starting working outside putting up outdoor Halloween decoration. Every year the boys are so excited to put up the light up skulls and ghost lights, of course, it is better when we go outside and see them lit up after dark.
While we were working in the yard, the boys thought that planting some acorns might eventually grow some more trees to give us shade so they got to work planting acorns all over the front yard. I will have to post pics if we get some new trees.
Friday, October 2, 2009
- Enter today and you could win a complete Best Friends' Club INK! doll line with accessories for your child, plus a library of Scholastic books.Welcome to Best Friends' Club, Ink. | Scholastic.com
- Get a free book when you mail in 1 Zyrtec UPC.
Mail in one UPC from any Zyrtec product along with your name, phone #, email address and mailing address to:
Zyrtec Book Offer
PO BO 711
New York, NY 10012
Offer ends; 11/30/09 The book is a Children's book about allergies.
- Free Book with UPC from Pediasure. Get a free scholastic book when you submit a pediasure UPC.Send one UPC from any Pediasure product with your name, phone #, email address, and mailing address to:Pediasure Book Offer 557 Broadway P O BOX 711 New York, NY 10012
The book is "Gregory, the Terrible Eater" by Mitchell Sharmat
Offer expires: 10/31/09
I got this email from Houseparty.com and Lunchables and thought I would share. Let’s Turn a Little Note Into a World of Difference.
Help kids do their best.
Remember, we can make a difference! Just promise to drop a note in your kid’s lunch at LunchNotePromise.com. Do that and we’ll give a free meal to a kid in need. Together, we can turn a little note into world of difference.Go to LunchNotePromise.com
- Call 1-800-490-9198 (during regular business hours) and request item number EPA420-K-07-001 to get a free copy of The Magic School Bus Gets Cleaned Up! The book is provided by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency). Limit one per household
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Monday, September 21, 2009
It is a great website and email reminder service to help you get organized, get rid of clutter and have a clean and peaceful house.
I signed up for the daily email reminders and she sends out a daily "chore" that usually takes less than 15 minutes and is a good way to get things accomplished that you don't normally think about. For example, a couple of weeks ago the chore was sweeping in front of your front door and cleaning your front door. Today the chore was cleaning off your dresser in your master bedroom.
The other things I like is her "routines" for morning and before bed to help get you organized for your day.
Hope you will check it out and let me know what you think.
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Check your local YMCA for scheduled activities.
Here are a few of the offerings that week at my local YMCA in South Lakeland:
- Sept. 19, 3:30-4:30 pm Zumbathon
- Sept. 21, 6-8 pm Family Wii Night
- Sept. 22, 6-9 pm Volleyball pick up games
- Sept. 22, 6:30-7:30 pm, Stress Management Presentation
- Sept. 23, 9 am-noon, Health Fair; Local vendors from our community sharing healthful info. Also, Flu shots available.
- Sept. 24, 9 am-noon, Food and Fun; A nutrition and physical activity curriculum designed to encourage children and their families to develop healthy eating habits.
- Sept. 25, 6:30-8:30 pm, Water fun for the Family
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Family Day at the Polk Museum of Art in Lakeland
This year's theme is "green" with all sorts of fun related to being creative and environmentally conscious.
Last year, I took my boys to the Free Family Day and they still talk about all the great arts and crafts we got to do. It really is a great way to check out the museum for free and get to do some extra activities.
Monday, September 14, 2009
- Enter to win $500 in books for your school library:Take a Healthy Bite Out of Reading!
- Sign up for the chance to win a years worth of craft supplies valued at $1500 for your home and your child's classroom.
Visit The Knack(SM) - Where Kids Discover(SM) - Home and submit your entry today.
- For free germ-fighting materials such as:
Activities to promote germ learning at home and school
Be a germ fighter learning poster
Customizable back to school supply list www.scholastic.com/wetones
- Help your child earn 20 free books for their classroom. visit www.scholastic.com/sunnyDWhen your child's teacher submits 20 SunnyD UPC labels Scholastic will select 20 age appropriate books for your child's classroom.
- Visit Scholastic Parents: Tips on Children's Reading, Learning, School Success, Family Life, and Activities | Scholastic.com They partnered with Smilebox to offer a unique school themed slide show that you can use to immortalize that first big day of school.
- Get a free book when you mail in 1 Zyrtec UPC. "The air out there" a storybook created by Scholastic about allergies. Visit www. scholastic.com/zyrtec for more special offers, activities, tips and valuable allergy management tools.
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
- Storytime every half hour
- Railway playtable time
- Coloring Fun
- Free Thomas Trading Card Holder and trading cards
- In store savings
Sunday, September 6, 2009
Community Education Series
The ABCs of Discipline
Effective Tools for ages 2-12
presented by Lucrecia Dore, M.D.
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Tuesday, Sept. 15 at 6pm
Lakeland Regional Medical Center Auditorium
Free and open to public
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
- Family Fun Workshop at the Polk Museum of Art; Make a fabric collage, Saturday, September, 5th at 10:30 am FREE
- Pioneer Florida Days Festival in Dade City at the Pioneer Florida Museum: Civil War Reenactments, Children's activities, authentic craft demonstrations, and more; Price of admission is adults $8 and kids $4 (ages 10-17) $2 (ages 5-9)
- Highland Park Church of the Nazarene Labor Day Car Show 10 am until 2 pm; No admission charges
Tuesday, September 1, 2009
I am surprised at how quickly they are learning these words. It is fun to watch them work together and sound the words out and then it is really neat when they see these words other places and recognize them.
Monday, August 31, 2009
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
We went to Preschool storytime which is for 4 and 5 year olds and it is every Tuesday at 10 am. Today the songs and stories were about spiders and snakes and the boys came home with a rattlesnake coloring sheet which they thought was very cool.
I posted in my links section the link to look up the current library storytime schedule.
Monday, August 24, 2009
Saturday, Aug. 29, 2009
10 am until 3 pm
18th Birthday X-travaganza
Come trek the learning trail and party with hands on birthday party activities.
Also, check out http://www.childrensmuseums.org/visit/us_members.htm for a children's museum in your area.
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Some of the boys favorite websites to play on are:
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
Another great fix your own meal is pizzas. They love it when I put out different toppings and get individual sized pizza crusts and let them pile them high.
Monday, August 17, 2009
The boys and I went to a new water park today. The Lake Eva Park Aquatics Center in Haines City opened earlier this summer, but this is the first time we have had the opportunity to drive over and check it out. It was about a 40 min. drive but well worth it. Also, the admission price was awesome at only $3 per person.
"The Haines City Aquatic Center, which opened on Memorial Day, includes a 25-meter competition pool, children's activity pool, splash pad area with water toys, a 20-foot water slide, pavilion and concession area. The expansion also includes new tennis and basketball courts, two playgrounds with cushion cork-like base making falls from equipment easier to take, a huge sandbox, a banquet facility for special events (that can be rented by the public) and a band shell." (above info. from the Lakeland Ledger's website)
Sunday, August 16, 2009
I found the following movie monitoring websites in a magazine article:
These websites give reviews for parents to decide if the content is OK for their child before viewing the movie.
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Monday, August 10, 2009
While I was gone, my husband continued with my "thrifty" entertainment for the boys. On Saturday, he took them to Lowes to make "powerboats" at the Build and grow clinic, then played outside in the blowup kiddie pool in the backyard followed by Kids eat free night at Denny's for dinner. I was so proud of him! He did great with the boys while I had some free time.
Friday, August 7, 2009
Thursday, August 6, 2009
- Read in different places like outside on a picnic blanket, under the dining table, in a makeshift fort built out of pillows and blankets, by the pool, in a treehouse....
- Have them read out loud to the family pet, to an elderly relative or neighbor or to a younger sibling
- Do a book swap with friends to find new books to read.
- Give them challenges to read so many books and then get a reward when they reach the goal.
- And of course, visit your local library to find new books!
Wednesday, August 5, 2009
- Saturday, August 8th Polk Museum of Art will sponsor a free art activity for children and families @ 10:15 am.
- The Mulberry Library will be celebrating its 60th birthday, Saturday, August 8th at 10am. There will be activities for all ages, including a bounce house, cake and fun.
- Meet the amazing "Coraline" Saturday at 2 pm @ the Winter Haven library.
- Lowes Build and Grow workshop is this Saturday at 10 am, Here is the link to register at your local Lowes; www.lowesbuildandgrow.com
Another activity for a nominal charge is "Yoga for Kids" at the Lake Wales library. Saturdays in August at 2 pm, $5 per class, pre-register (863)678-4004, ext. 0.
Monday, August 3, 2009
This weekend we traveled to visit some friends and while we were there we went to their local zoo. I just wanted to suggest zoos as a great family outing, it isn't cheap, but with the purchase of a family pass it makes it reasonable. Also, most zoos honor passes from other zoos around the country so if you are traveling it might be something to do in a new place.
Here is a link to a listing of zoos in the USA to find your closest zoo;
Friday, July 31, 2009
I got to thinking that being a Mom of boys that one day I might have to camp with them which I am not to excited about, but maybe we can start with "camping" inside on a hot summer day with sleeping bags and snacks and movies and such.
There is a good article in the August 2009 issue of Parenting about Camping in your own backyard,
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
I did notice that Target is starting their summer toy clearance so I may go back without the boys to start to stock up for Christmas.
It is awesome that our children can use their imaginations and have fun even while shopping with Mom at Target. Jack told me that his "rivals" were watching his every move and we needed to hurry so I convinced him you don't always need to run away but you have to be sneaky. After saying that, the rest of the time in Target all the boys and myself pretended to sneak around corners and watch out for the spys and bad guys!
Monday, July 27, 2009
Sunday, July 26, 2009
Friday, July 24, 2009
Thursday, July 23, 2009
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
It also reminded me of when I took the boys blueberry picking and a local farm and how much they enjoyed it. Of course, they ate quite a few more than ever landed in their bucket.
Here is a link to a website to find "you pick" farms in your area http://www.pickyourown.org/.
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
My local newspaper has been printing a "boredom buster" everyday to keep your kids busy. For a complete listing check out http://www.theledger.com/boredombusters.
My favorite so far has been to set up an ice cream sundae bar for your kids. My friend Michelle and I did this last week with our kids. We had 2 flavors of ice cream and chocolate chips, M&Ms, sprinkles, nuts and chocolate syrup. I don't know who enjoyed it more the Moms or the kids!
Monday, July 20, 2009
I am not brave enough to do this yet with 3 boys, but maybe in the future when they are older.
Cobb Free Summer Kids Shows
July 21,22,23 at 10 am
Hotel for Dogs and Nim's Island
July 22 at 10:30 am Suzuki Strings Children's Violin Ensemble
July 24 at 10 am at the Polk Museum of Art
"The Really Big Show" by Miss Angel and Miss Connie
Also, don't forget if you haven't participated in the Summer Reading program at the Bartow Library there is still time. It runs until July 31st. Children who read for 10 hours this summer and record it in the provided reading logs will receive a free book.
All my boys have already turned in their logs to get their free books and were so excited to pick out a new book.
Sunday, July 19, 2009
The first full weekend of every month all for free for Bank of America cardholders. See the link for museums participating in your area.
Hope some of you can take advantage of this program.